Need a delicious festive recipe? Here’s a great one we came across for a Christmas season staple fruit mince pies! You can use regular butter or you can adjust the recipe to use a vegetable based spread or coconut oil to make them vegan fruit mince pies if you want! These pies are super yum and super easy and so much better than the supermarket version! They also make a great gift for you family and friends over the Christmas period!
Vegan Fruit Mince Pies:
- 1 large apple
- 280g dried fruit mix
- Juice and zest from 1 orange
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 30ml dark rum or single malt whiskey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- 150g brown sugar
- 40g vegan butter, melted
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry (make sure your frozen pastry does not contain butter if you want to make the vegan version of these pies)
- Finely chop the apple
- Add the apple and all other ingredients (except pastry) to a large bowl and stir to combine
- Cover and leave in the fridge overnight
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Take your thawed shortcrust pastry and use a cookie cutter to cut out 8 large circle
- Take circles and and gently press into cupcake moulds
- Fill each pastry case with mince filling
- For the pastry top, cut 8 large circles out of the pastry sheet. Use a star cutter to make a star in the middle of the circle. Place on top of pie
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes 10.
Allow to cool properly as the fruit will be very hot and then share and enjoy!